Sunday, January 20, 2013

Deleterious - the toxicity of women

In the sometimes inhospitable and always overly dramatic world of online lesbian dating a *wink* is as good as a U-Haul showing up at your front door. OKCupid has managed to create a format where profiles are guided by few unobtrusive questions so one’s true creative juices may be let to flow.  And oh, how they flow.
As I clicked through Girls who like Girls ages 27-35, several themes emerged – women enjoy over sharing, many consider themselves ‘writers’, cats are very popular, and more often than not, women choose careers in ‘helping’ fields. As for the proliferation of writers, my internal dialogue states otherwise, given their incorrect usage of ‘your’ and ‘their’.  OkCupid informs me that women enjoy cooking, as a hobby, and also to be close to those they love, which reeks of pre-second wave feminism. Countless profiles professed an ability to ‘make others feel comfortable’; even more assured me they are ‘a laid back, go with the flow type’. It became clear fairly early on that what women listed were the traits and characteristics they thought others would desire in a potential mate. Not once did I read ‘attracts grifters and other con-artists, so if you’re hungry or broke, message me’, or ‘prefers coloring books to the classics’, or ‘currently shouldering heavy baggage, BEWARE!’ These would have been far more helpful admittances. Instead w00lfe12 wants me to know she enjoys Fridays night out and redefining sexuality. Huh? Some seemingly innocuous admissions were downright dangerous; quietcortexxx told me and a zillion other ladies her neighborhood and local watering hole. Jesus, remember McGruff the Crime Dog?  Don’t tell strangers your address! The deeper I traveled into the bowels of OKCupid, the more I realized everyone was just a variation of the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment