Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Hey You. YEAH YOU!!!

You would think looking at chicks all day online would be fun. I assure you it was not. It was not only exhausting, but it was frustrating. Jess was having the same issues in Baltimore as I was having in New York. And I swear we were not using the same material. We used every tool OK Cupid could throw at us. I mean in terms of proving our theory that these women really don't want to date, we struck gold. The problem is, experiments require repetition. Fruitless repetition. 

General Search:
We both had our age ranges that we preferred and that was basically it on the criteria part of the search. This means a pretty wide net could be cast. And oh did we throw that net out there. Endlessly reading these profiles. . . Getting to know their pets; their likes; dislikes; favorite foods; gardening techniques. We read all of this info trying to get to know these women. I have OCD. Could you imagine taking in all of this info for no fucking reason? I still remember yellowstone999 swears John Cusack is her favorite actor. Why do I remember this? All tolled, the general search was the most useless. I still haven't figure out why. There was one woman that I found during a general search that was in a word, HOT. In the immortal words of Rob Gordon [John Cusack yellowstone] in High Fidelity "you gotta punch your weight". This woman was clearly out of my league. If I saw her on the street, I would stop, stare, be rendered speechless and she wouldn't even notice me. I somehow, eventually, got the stones to send her a msg. It was simple. I didn't lose my mind. I just wanted to tell her she was beautiful. That's it. Not even a thank you from rjesquillin. Yeah you. I said your screen name. You are welcome and you are still beautiful. A thank you would not have been an invite for me to keep messaging you as you are way out of my weight class.

Quiver:
The Quiver is simple and ingenious actually. It tries to compel the user to message people, meet new people, dare I say date someone, by basically doing most of the work for you. The math nerds at OK Cupid found a way of taking the info from the questions you answer and other advance calculus shit I don't understand and created a formula that selects people you should be attracted to. Great. I'm lazy. Fire away. They send you three people and all you have to do is send a msg in order to fill up your quiver with new candidates. This part of the OK Cupid experience I liked because it really should work. It didn't for us. I did the whole experiment of messaging every single person in my Quiver for a month. SIGH! It was basically like a General Search, but one less step.

QuickMatch:
Finally we get to the fun part of OK Cupid. When you visit a person's profile, they know it. You are considered a visitor. This comes in handy for a lot of funny reasons. For some reason, if you begin to engage with someone, sometimes they visit your profile. On a daily basis. Like it is facebook and you are going to change your status to "in a relationship" after one conversation. To spare you of the stalker label, you can use quickmatch. You see an abbreviation of their profile and pictures and you quickly rate the person 1-5 stars without being considered a visitor. If you rate the person 4-5 stars, it is logged in the OK Cupid database. If the same person goes on quickmatch and rates you similarly, you get an email stating you are a match email the person! So I emailed a cute girl, in my weight class, smart and funny because we are apparently a [quick]match and I got nothing. I was perplexed because I got an email that michmich JUST picked me five minutes prior. Alrighty then.

No matter what method is used to find compatible mates, I would say 10% of the women respond. That's pretty low in my opinion. If you go to a bar and approach a woman, she will most likely give you five minutes. What I don't understand is why women online refuse to give you that equivalent. We utilize our profiles like an invisible wall and there is no quiver on earth that can penetrate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment