Thursday, February 14, 2013

Love Is In The Air


In the spirit of Valentine's Day, I'm going to try to write this post about a really good date.  Admittedly, this one is difficult to write, mainly because I do not have a funny name for this date.  The unfortunate reality of meeting this girl is that I actually legitimately liked her. She was not supposed to be included in the OKCupid Chronicles. 
I was on OKCupid one day, you know, doing research and I saw a picture of this girl and she had the best smile I think I have ever seen. I did not read her profile, but sent her a message that said just that.  When I say this chick didn't respond for weeks, that is no exaggeration. She took so long to respond, I forgot I even sent the message. Her message back was apologetic about her tardy response. I liked that. I should have saw that as a sign. She was really smart and ambitious. Through her messages, I learned she was in school [awesome], had two jobs [ok], volunteered in South America [great], and was studying for the LSAT to attend law school. WHAT THE FUCK!!! I was currently studying for the LSAT and couldn't find enough time to sleep. How in the hell was this girl doing all this? She was the personification of Monumentally Busy. When was this chick going to have time to date? Arlene might just solidify our research in one fell swoop. At this point, Jess implored me to ask her out. So I did.
I asked Arlene out because it just made no sense that [in my eyes] this tremendously phenomenal girl was 1. on a dating site and B. had any time to actually date. I asked her to attend a Gay comedy show with me WEEKS in advance. Generally, my rule is not to get drunk on a first date. I broke my own rule. There were extenuating circumstances (I couldn’t eat anything at the restaurant and the comedy club has a pesky rule about Two drink minimum. You ask Jess and me, those drinks better be spiked!).  
Anyway, during dinner (Arlene’s dinner), we got to know each other.  Admittedly, I approached this like a true cynic and having said that, Arlene blew me away. We had a great time on the date and I text Jess the progress and she teased me that I genuinely like her.  I did….. 
And that was that. Once home, Arlene texted that she wanted to meet up again. Great. It was months, cumulative weeks, of no contact with Arlene. I like my solitude, so this was in no way a deterrent for me. She decides to plan the second date which consisted of an EN VOGUE concert. This sounds like fun except she’s planning it months in advance. Eventually, I sent her an email wondering if we were still on because I hadn’t heard a word from her.  She said no worries, she bought the tickets already. Finally this date comes around and it is yet another good date.  There was a lil forward move on her part…………………………<-----that's what the next few weeks was like.  Empty space. Nothing happened. Now I was not going to tip my toe in an awkward pool of dating confusion. We had a great time; she initiated contact for a second date, and then vanishes into thin air. I have never met someone so wholly busy in my life. The problem with me is (and I know this) I lose interest really fast. If you join a dating site to meet people, then are too Monumentally Busy to hang out, I question why are you on said dating site to begin with (to meet friends, significant others, or (insert reason here)).   

This is the moment where Arlene became the perfect example of a dating no no.  I was perfectly content with not hanging out with her. She was super busy and I respected that. My problem started when she would text me out of nowhere, damn near demanding my presence, without so much as a lead in or anything. At one point she angrily texted me asking if I didn't get her text.  HMM KAY. This was after weeks of not hearing from her at all. She sends a text and I didn't respond fast enough. I found this whole thing funny. 
The lesson here was clear.  If you actually like someone or want to see someone again, it is in your best interest that the other person 1. knows you are interested and B. knows you are still in the country. All of those months went by and I thought this chick was building houses in Central America. It kinda helps the dating process if you show interest in the actual process.

No comments:

Post a Comment